I could have just left you with my Almond Butter & Pumpkin Spice Granola recipe to enjoy for your breakfast. But I didn’t feel like it. Therefore, I bring you some gorgeous breakfast Pumpkin Spice Granola Muffins, topped with my latest granola recipe! Continuing with the autumn vibes, I’ve kept with the good ol’ Pumpkin Spice – i’m sorry, I just can’t get enough, plus it is the perfect, spicy start to the day.
These muffins are so delicious, you wouldn’t guess that they were healthy and gluten-free, using coconut sugar and apple puree to sweeten! I’ve kept the ingredients to a minimum too, using Doves Farm gluten-free blend helped with this, ensuring that you’ll have time to knock these bad boys up in the morning!
Usually I steer clear of premade gluten-free for the reason I don’t believe that gluten-free blends have the right properties to serve an “all-purpose” use. Instead, I usually create my own blends with various types of flours depending what I am making. If you prefer to get savvy with the gluten-free flours instead of the pre packed stuff, do try out my Moist Banana Bread or Coffee & Hazelnut Loaf – they’re both amazing cake recipes you wouldn’t believe were GF!
However, let’s get back to the muffin topic! In this recipe, the blend worked fab! Adding a 1/4 cup of almond meal is essential, since this gives a nutty moistness, which is often missed in gluten-free & vegan baking. Now, who can resist a fluffy muffin with a crunchy top? They need to be available for my breakfast everyday!
Of course you don’t need to use my Almond Butter & Pumpkin Spiced Granola; although it does make the pumpkin spice and autumn tones stand out just that bit more. I highly recommend making this granola recipe to top your muffins with, that way you’ll have a few jars worth of granola for the muffin-less days! Alas, I know we are all very busy souls and two Herbivores recipes in one day could be a little too much. If that is the case, go ahead and use a store brought packet. It’ll create the same crunchy top you’re dying for.
Up your breakfast game ladies and gents! Get baking and serve them out to everyone, since almost everyone can have them (sorry to those with nut allergies)
Let me know what you think in the comments …
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Doves Farm)
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin spice mix
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used soya)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp. rapeseed/canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple puree
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Almond & Pumpkin Spice Granola (or regular)
- Pre heat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 and line (or grease) a 12 hole muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil, non-dairy milk, vinegar, maple syrup, apple puree and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almonds, coconut sugar, pumpkin spice mix, xanthan, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Fold to combine.
- Pour the muffin mixture nearly to the top of each hole and sprinkle each muffin with a heaped tablespoon of granola.
- Place in the oven and cook for 23-28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- You can store the muffins in an airtight container for 3-4 days.