Exciting news! We have launched our new YouTube Channel. Pesto & Cherry Tomato Turnovers is our first video recipe and upload to the Tube. We are hyped about this new step with The Hungry Herbivores and about this new recipe, oh lord it is gooood. Check out the video below for a simple, visual guide to our new recipe and give it a like and a subscribe if you’re feeling kind; while the wordy more detailed explanation is at the bottom of this blog post.
Since our Guide To Tomatoes nutrition post, we’ve been consuming these delicious fruits in masses, it’s been hard to pick and perfect the right recipe for you guys. Combining toms and our favourite Rocket, Kale & Pine Nut Pesto in a puff pastry parcel was genius in my opinion. My teeth sunk into flaky pasty and bursting tomatoes… I just melted.
We used Jus Rol Puff Pasty Sheet, since they have a great vegan pastry range and hasn’t failed me yet! We bought the pre rolled sheet for time efficiency, but it’s up to you what you go for. Jus Rol have just released a Gluten-free & Vegan Puff pasty sheet, so even the coeliacs can enjoy this dish!
Make sure you cut the sheet into an equal rectangle that makes 6 even squares, otherwise your turnovers wont fold accurately.
Get blending that garlicy pesto and baking that puff! Tell us what you think of these glorious pockets
- Rocket, Kale & Pine Nut Pesto
- 8 Vine Ripened Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 1.5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- Pre-heat your oven at 200C/390F/Gas Mark 6
- Unroll the pastry sheet onto a lined baking sheet and cut into an equal rectangle, and slice into 6 equal squares.* Then score each square diagonally.
- Spoon and spread 1 Tbsp of pesto onto one corner of each square, leaving a few cm gap at the edges.
- Place 3 or 4 tomato halves, seeds facing up, on top of the pesto.
- Fold over each turnover and seal with your fingers firmly or with a folk.
- Brush with the olive oil & sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17-10 mins or until crispy & golden brown
- Leave to cool slightly and tuck in!