It’s been a while since the last Herbivores sandwich/burger recipe, so this tofu and coconut bacon caesar sub is way overdue. With this recipe I’ve tried to balance out the perfect filling to bread ratio, because who wants to be chewing on a dry baguette with hardly any filling!?
This recipe has brought together the Caesar salad dish, veganized the traditional ingredients and deconstructed them into a sub. Usually Caesar salads consist of a creamy sauce with chicken and bacon, which in turn have been replaces with cashews for the sauce, tofu for the chicken and coconut bacon for actual bacon! In my eyes, that sounds much more appealing than the dead animals between bread alternative.
I’ve always been a fan of Caesar style, mainly because of the large quantises of garlic. With this sauce recipe I used two raw garlic cloves, which was just perfect for me. However, if you’re not obsessed with garlic like I am or don’t want to be left with a garlic hangover in your mouth, maybe stick to one… (your loss)
Lunches are underrated. Bring some good soul food to your lunches with a hearty tofu & coconut bacon caesar sub. It’s perfect for a packed lunch that everyone is going to be jealous of! If you’re not one for carbs though or don’t fancy risking Caesar sauce dripping onto your work clothes, try compiling the fillings into a salad.
Follow my recipe for coconut bacon for this recipe. It’s quick, simple and so versatile. I love the fact it is crunchy but yet so juicy!
- ½ cup soaked cashews*
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. capers
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of two lemons
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- ½ block of firm tofu
- 1 cup of Coconut Bacon
- Handful of rocket or chopped lettuce4 6" gluten-free subs
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. It should be a thick sauce. Set aside.
- Press the tofu between two plates to drain the water for about half an hour.
- Once drained, slice the tofu into enough strips for 4 subs.
- Slice the subs and layer on the leaf, tofu, coconut bacon and drizzle with a generous amount of sauce. Enjoy!