Halloween treat number two! A classic Halloween food with a twist: The toffee apple. Of course, being the herbivores, we have veganized and spruced-up this recipe, creating something new and exciting for your taste buds this Halloween. These Toffee Apples come in form of a cakes, covered by a layer of raw chocolate & raw caramel drizzled on top.
So not only are these considerably more exiting than the original Halloween treat, that becomes boring after you’ve chewed off the sweet sugar coating the fruit, but they are actually healthy as well!
Halloween is usually filled with sugar, so why not give your teeth a little break and try out his super fun recipe along with our Carrot Cake Pumpkins!
Halloween is a great time to get creative with food. Experiment with what food can create and be inventive!
Decorate your toffee apples with anything you can get your hands on. We tried out goji berries, black sesame seeds, cacao nibs and mint leaves (which in fact taste great inside the cake too!) – then we stuck a wooden skewer inside for the traditional effect!
- 4 apples (we used granny smiths)
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup oats
- ⅛ cup buckwheat groats (or sub for oats/coconut/hazelnuts)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup gooey dates (or soaked dates)
- ⅛ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅛ cup + 1 tbsp agave
- ⅛ cup cacao + 1 tbsp cacao powder
- ⅛ cup + 1tbsp coconut oil
- ⅛ cup dates
- ⅛ + 1 Tbsp cup almond butter
- ⅛ cup agave
- ⅛ cup coconut cream (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 6/7 cut wooden skewers/lolly sticks
- Cacao nibs, black sesame, mint leaves, goji berries (optional)
- Firstly peel and core the apples and blend in a food processor until cut into fine pieces. This made 1¼ cup of finely chopped apple for us. Set aside
- Place the rest of the dry ingredients in the food processor (leaving the dates and coconut oil) and blend until fine crumbs.
- Add the apple again to the processor and pulse to combine with the dry ingredients.
- Now add the coconut oil and dates to form a wet dough.
- Take a small handful of the mix and roll into 6/7 equal balls. Don't worry the dough will be very sticky and wet.
- Place the balls in the freezer to harden up for about half an hour to and hour.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate by whisking together the ingredients until there are no lumps and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. set aside.
- Take the apple cakes out the freezer and place onto greaseproof paper.
- Firstly pour the raw chocolate over the cake, or roll in the chocolate by hand.
- Once the chocolate has solidified, pour about ½ a tbsp of the caramel on the top and let drip naturally, you can use more to create more drips if desired.
- Decorate with chosen embellishments and push the skewer or lolly stick into the toffee apples!
Reader Rating: 0 Votes