French toast, eggy bread, gypsy toast, whatever you want to call it. This simple breakfast dish has always been my favourite.
Being someone who hates eggs and has never liked milk since a baby, I was pretty much set up for being a dedicated vegan. Yet, French toast is my weakness. Many a time I have considered how I can get around the ethics of eggs for this dish, “maybe adopting some rescue hens and using their eggs.”
Alas, this turned out to pretty impractical, so The Hungry Herbivore kitchen turned to beloved vegan food blogs and experimentation of our own to veganize my favourite dish.
Today, we are sharing a delicious French Toast Casserole. This is a gorgeous sharing breakfast, super easy to prepare and to cook in the morning for your guests as their festive treat.
This time around we plunged in some cranberries for festivities and a nice tart taste to combine with the sweet, creamy bread. However, it tastes equally as beautiful with a sprinkling of raisins!
Try out our festive casserole & Tell us what you think!
- 7 slices of day old white bread (1")
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup soy/almond milk
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2.5 tbsp. cornflour/starch
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- Generously grease a long baking dish* with vegan margarine and sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.
- In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk, soy/almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and spices until smooth.
- Add the cornflour and mix again, making sure there are no lumps.
- Pour a small amount of the liquid on the bottom of the dish (about half an inch)
- Layer the slices of bread in the dish and sprinkle the cranberries over the bread, pushing some down the sides and in between the slices.
- Pour the rest of the liquid over the bread making sure it falls between the layers of bread and soaks the entire slice.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and place in the fridge either overnight or for at least an hour for the mixture to soak in.
- Pre heat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 3.
- Once the oven is heated to temperature, place in the oven with the foil still on and cook for 45-50 mins**
- Take out the oven and serve up!
** If you want it crispy on top (which we recommend), take the foil off the dish after 35 minutes, and return to the oven for 10 more minutes
Reader Rating: 0 Votes