She’s back! Hello again and hello 2018. You’ll be glad to know, I’m back doing my thang in the kitchen with prospects to bring you bigger and better things. Since veganism is growing at such a pace, I’ve got to keep up! With the growing vegan community or people dabbling with plant-based, The Hungry Herbivores are expecting more compassionate foodies to stumble across the upcoming recipes in 2018. Maybe you’re one! Tell us your story in the comments!
Christmas is (finally) over, which means back to work and back to school for the kiddies! It’s always tough getting back into the routine, no matter your age. What better way to keep you going through the post-Christmas blues than good (healthy) food!? Looking for healthy lunchtime recipes or first-time vegan lunchbox ideas? Luckily, that’s just what I’ve got for you in the form of Beetroot & Black Bean Bite Wraps with Cashew Soured Cream. This tasty wrap is perfect for bringing to the office or the lunch hall for envious sideward glances.
Sometimes coming up with inventive on-the-go vegan lunches can be difficult, especially for those of you have to please a little one with sensitive taste buds. Plus, these vibrant beetroot wraps are another way to keep lunches looking fab and fun. Keeping it healthy and nutritious is also important! Your busy brain needs it’s creative juices, which this recipes helps with its high-protein, iron and calcium. Overall, this is a damn good wrap to fill your belly with.
These tasty Beet & Black Bean Bites are a little like Falafels, I guess. They are super easy and flavoursome. Black beans are my favourite bean by far, since it features in the tastiest cuisine: Mexican! Black beans contain complete protein, fibre, vitamins and much more. Most importantly though, they create a tasty vegan ball!
Guess what goes well with these bites? Cashew Soured Cream! The cream is necessary to finish off the wraps, as it adds a garlicky kick that combines the flavours beautifully!
Since it’s Veganuary, there are many new kids on the block looking for inspiration. Therefore, I’m not going to stop at one lunchbox recipe. I’m going in for another one just after these, because one is simple never enough! Even better, the next recipe combines beautifully with this one! Get the Tupperware ready.
Try out the recipe below and let me know whether it’s a healthy hit!
- 1 (400g) can of black beans, drained
- 1 (packed) cup raw beetroot, grated
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup gram flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup cashews, soaked overnight or at least 30 mins in very hot water
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp pink himalyan salt
- 4-5 wraps*, I used beetroot wraps
- Spinach, to serve
- Pre heat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all of the Beetroot and Black Bean Bite ingredients into a bowl.
- Either mix and mash together with your hands or for a less messy option, mix and mash with a fork.
- Create balls using an ice cream scoop (or use a ⅛ cup and form a ball) and place on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn to the other side and cook for another 8 minutes.
- While the bites are cooking, drain the cashews and add all the soured cream ingredients into a high-speed blender and whizz until smooth. Add a little more water if you want it looser.
- Assemble the wraps by spreading a generous amount of cashew soured cream on the wraps, sprinkling with spinach and 2 or three bites. Wrap up and pop in the lunchbox for later!