English traditional cuisine is pretty damn awful, not to mention not at all vegan friendly. English traditionally have stolen and adapted cuisines & foods from foreign lands, along with violently conquering them and claiming them as our kingdom.
On a lot less extremist, violent note, The Hungry Herbs have taken inspiration from the quick and simple foods of Mexico and the tasty flavours from Asia. These two cuisines have got to be on our favourites list.
Burritos are a beautiful, easy invention. Although traditionally filled with meat and rice, we’ve lowered the stodgy carb content and veganized the Mexican favourite.
We filled these bad boys with a crispy breadcrumb tofu, apple & lime infused slaw and creamy guac. Foodgasm.
These wholemeal wraps are super easy and quick to make; perfect for a healthy lunchbox filler or appetizer for guests or a party.
The crunchy apple & red cabbage slaw gives a subtle sweet taste, contrasted with smooth avocado & coriander guacamole.
This recipe can easily be made gluten-free with GF breadcrumbs on the tofu & GF wraps.
We’d love to hear from you if you try out the recipe, let us know what you think!
- 1 Block firm tofu
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 2 Cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated/spiralized
- ⅛ Cup coriander
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- Juice of one lime
- 2 Ripe avocados
- ½ red onion, diced
- Tbsp coriander, chopped
- Tbsp lime juice
- pinch salt & pepper
- 5-6 Wholemeal Tortillas
- Extra sesame seeds & coriander for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 200C/390F/Gas Mark 6 & line a baking sheet.
- Firstly drain your tofu and press between two heavy objects for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the breadcrumbs, almond milk & cornflour into separate bowls.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- One by one, dip the tofu into the almond milk, then cornflour, back into the almond milk and finally into the breadcrumbs. Place onto the baking sheet & into the oven for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
- While the tofu is cooking, simple combine all the slaw ingredients together and massage to release the apple juices and mix everything together. Refrigerate.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Mash with a fork or blend with a and blender to combine. Refrigerate.
- In the centre of the tortilla, tightly spread the 3 fillings in separate rows.
- Fold in both sides of the tortilla and hold with your fingers while you roll the tortilla upwards, tucking in the filling as you roll.
- Serve whole, cut into halves, or wrap in foil for your lunch boxes.
Reader Rating: 0 Votes